Safety is a critical part of everyday life, whether you’re at work, at home, or on vacation. In fact, safety is the primary goal of Presco, the country’s premier manufacturer of safety marking products. As the weather gets colder and the holiday vacation season commences, it is important to stay safe by being aware of your surroundings, whether you are tossing that snowblower and heading to a tropical paradise or jetting off to the Big Apple to see the New Years ball drop.
Safety in the City
One of the most visited cities in the world is New York City. With so many visitors, residents, and activity, it’s important to always remain aware. New York City once had a reputation for being crime-ridden, but the facts show this trend has gone down over time. According to the FBI, the murder rate in New York City in 2009 was the lowest since records were first kept in 1963. However, that doesn’t mean you don’t need to be vigilant in the Big Apple or any other large metropolis. Thieves often try to target tourists, thinking they will have their guard down and be easier to swindle.
Here are some key tips to consider when in the big city:
- Try to blend in and don’t draw attention to yourself as a tourist
- Keep your wallet in your front pocket or your purse zipped and close to your body when moving through busy crowds or on the subway
- Stay in well-lit areas at night
- Don’t flaunt jewelry or money in public
- Use caution when selecting transportation—only use licensed taxis, or if ridesharing, make sure that the car that picks you up matches the description on your app
- Rather than going it alone, travel in pairs or groups
Keep Wildlife Safe
Maybe your travels are taking you to a tropical destination or other area with unique wildlife. When you visit these areas, you want to do your best to protect these amazing creatures. For example, sea turtles are endangered across the world and often choose certain beaches to come ashore and lay eggs.
Should you get the opportunity to visit a beach that is home to nesting turtles, you’ll want to take some precautions:
- Maintain a dark environment and don’t use flashlights or flash photography—artificial lighting can disorient and deter females from nesting
- Don’t drive on the beach because it compacts the sand
- Keep beaches litter free
- To keep turtles from entangling themselves in human or toxic refuse, remove any obstacles from the beach, (i.e., furniture, netting, etc.)
Safety Zones: Always Be Aware
Staying safe is something to be aware of no matter where you are. Barricade tape and roll flagging both play a significant role in creating safety zones. From construction sites to accidents on the road to other hazardous situations, barricade tape is a universal sign that keeps workers, passersby, and emergency professionals safe. At Presco, we are always focused on making the world better and safer. Learn more about our products by visiting our barricade tape options page or simply take a peek at our “Where to Buy” page and find your nearest Presco distributor!